Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Open for Adventure

I attended Photo LA this past weekend.  Sadly, it was smaller than last year but still a great place to see fabulous images, network with gallery owners, meet with featured photographers, attend enlightening seminars, and get fresh ideas. 

Friday's open portfolio presentation is always inspiring.  I saw new concepts and techniques I'd never considered, like J. T. Burke's collages made from costume jewelry (www.JTBurke.com).  At the show: Robert Stivers huge "astigmatic dramaturgy" images (www.robertstivers.com), Rolfe Horn's tonal and structural inventiveness (www.f45.com), and Nicola Costantino's three piece panel, The Dinner (www.nicolacostantino.com.ar), of a table with an empty platter opening to one full of a lovely nude woman - all fresh ways of presenting. 

Living large means putting one's self out there, embracing life and opportunity.  At Photo LA, I put negative and fearful thoughts aside and raved to one of my favorite photographers, David LaChapelle about a show of his I saw in Berlin and learned a few things about his upcoming presentation in China; met Marthe Smith, founder of Photosight and former photo editor of Time Inc. Picture Collection who told me things I'd never read about their archives; and shook hands with Susan Burnstein whose images I find mezmorizing.  In two days, I had met with everyone I needed to and came home with a reaffirmation of and boost to my passion for the art of photography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment